I suggest you ...

Sync a Bookle library between multiple Macs

It would be nice to be able to sync Bookle's library between multiple Macs, so the user doesn't have to add books to multiple copies of Bookle manually.

51 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    tonyaengsttonyaengst shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adam EngstAdminAdam Engst (Minor Functionary, Bookle) commented  · 

It's conceivable a symbolic link would enable two Macs on the same network to share a library (you can play with this yourself), but I think many people would like any syncing to take place over the Internet so the machines don't have to be on the same network.

• Eelco DeulingEelco Deuling commented  · 

Would a symbolic link help? …I have not tried this with Bookle, but a majority of my apps are synced this way through Dropbox.

• Alastair CampbellAlastair Campbell commented  · 

How about syncing via dropbox? I keep most of my epub books in dropbox anyway, if you added a 'sync' file of some kind to keep track of where each one is upto, that would be excellent.

That's an interesting thought - have to work through the logic of what would become possible with such a helper app. Oh the contortions Apple puts us through! :-)

• IanIan commented  · 

One thing to check here could be having a second 'helper app' that's not available from the Mac App Store, but can be downloaded from your website.

This is what Growl does - the main sandbox-friendly Growl app is in the MAS, and the secondary app that replaces old Growl versions in existing apps is a download from their site.

Oh, we definitely want to do this, and we're so bummed about Apple's sandboxing requirements for the Mac App Store. If it weren't for those, we would have added an option that would have allowed Bookle to store its library in your Dropbox folder, so everything could have have been synced between multiple Macs (and your iOS devices!) with no fuss.

If sandboxing prevents the use of Dropbox in this fashion, we may be able to add iCloud support, but since so few apps have done that, it's a big unknown right now.

Feedback and Knowledge Base